Re: [engelang] Xorban: Termsets

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:
A. Foretrees work and are ready to be added to the grammar.
B. Aftertrees have a problem with parentheticals.

I think I have a way of making aftertrees work.  The idea is that a simple formula can be followed by aftertrees or a parenthetical sentence, but not by both.  There slight kludge in the interpretation in the sense that terms that precede the simple formula (within the core formula) have inner scope while the afterthought trees have outer scope.  Another way of putting it:  To restore logical form, the aftertrees have to shift in front of the entire core formula even though they're technically part of the simple formula production.  I don't think it's a problem at all, but it should be noted.  The grammar itself (as far as I can tell) is unambiguous.

Here are a hypothetical revision of the rules with foretrees and aftertrees added:

sentence := illocutionary-operator? formula | interjection

formula := core-formula | foretree formula

foretree := he | term foretree | coordinator foretree foretree

aftertree := hi | term aftertree | coordinator aftertree aftertree

core-formula := simple-formula | term core-formula

term := unary-operator | binder formula | coordinator formula

simple-formula := stem desinence interjection? aftertree* | stem VkV

stem := (C C C* | q ( C? V? )* q)

unary-operator := ( b | f | d | m | n ) VkV

binder := ( l | r | s | x | g ) VkV

coordinator := j VkV

illocutionary-operator := c VkV

interjection := w VkV

VkV := desinence (illocutionary-operator formula | interjection)?

desinence := V (k V)*

V := ( a | e | i | o | u ) ( ‘ V )?

C := b | c | d | f | g | j | k | l | m | n | p | r | s | t | v | x | z

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com