Re: [engelang] Xorban: Termsets

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is another solution possible though:  (2) Certain terms in an prior
> tree (namely bindings of variables not otherwise bound and "f-" terms) that
> are not specifically overridden in the subsequent tree are assumed to be in
> the inner tree as well (it generally won't make sense to apply "f-" to a
> tree anyway, because trees aren't formulas and therefore can't have event
> arguments;

But trees are pseudo-formulas syntactically, and they are formulas
semantically. I'm not sure why you say it won't make sense to apply f-
to one.

> and it doesn't harm anything to add more variable bindings).
> Aftertrees would be considered more prior than foretrees, the better to
> reflect their afterthought nature.   This could not apply to "na", though.
> Here's an example previously shown:
>
> lo ( fo la ma djna le nnle li crdi he )( le nxle li ckti he ) dndakike
> "(O) is the situation in which John gives to the boy a radio and to the
> girl a book."

I think I'm missing something here. That can't be a complete sentence
because "lo" is followed by a single formula.

If we remove "lo", it could be "O is a situation in which John gives
to the boy a radio and to the girl a book." but I don't see why it
wouldn't be "(O is a situation in which John gives to the boy a radio)
and (A gives the girl a book)." A would be taken to be John by the
implicit binding rule, but it would not be explicitly bound. In order
to get both events into O we do need "je":  "fo la ma djna je le nnle
li crdi he le nxle li ckti he dndakike" or  "fo je la ma djna le nnle
li crdi he le nxle li ckti he dndakike

> Note that under solution (2) the second foretree will inherit the fronted
> terms "fo, la ma djna" from the first foretree which would naturally consume
> them and hide them.  It wouldn't inherit "le nnle, li crdi" because "le nxle
> li ckti" would block/override those bindings.
>
> It would work similarly either way.  There are going to be some syntactic
> restraints either way or any other way you can think of, and as I mentioned
> I am in no rush to make these particles official before they're fully
> tested.

I do want to keep the formal grammar unambiguous though, so it will
need to be considerably more complex if we want to keep he/hi.

co ma'a xrxe