Re: [engelang] reformulating the core grammar

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM, selpa'i <seladwa@hidden.email> wrote:
> Am 08.10.2012 18:05, schrieb Jorge Llambías:
> >
> > "y" is [j] (and I think Mike proposed it could also be [y] in lujvo).
> > We only defined a few interjections with w-, but I mentioned that I
> > would probably like to add some with y- too.
>
> Oh, okay. A shame that there are so few letters in the latin alphabet.
> :) I would prefer if every letter had just one pronunciation, but there
> aren't any letters left if you don't introduce diacritics.

[j] and [y] would be allophones in Xorban.

I don't mind looking at it that way, but what I had in mind is that <y> would be simply [j].  The close front rounded [y] sound would arise only in stems as the standard contraction of underlying <@y@> where <@> is the sometimes elidible stem buffer vowel (schwa [@], or open-mid front rounded [9]).  People who don't like [y] could pronounce it [j@] or [@j@].

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com