Re: [engelang] reformulating the core grammar

Am 08.10.2012 16:10, schrieb Jorge Llambías:
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM, selpa'i <seladwa@hidden.email> wrote:

Firstly, I noticed that the grammar says that binary operators and
interjections are followed by "desinence", not just a simple vowel. This
means that "laka mlta bjra" parses, as does "la'e mlta je'iko bjra
ctke", which seems like nonsense. Is it nonsense?

"je'iko" is a valid form for a coordinator, but we haven't as yet
given it any meaning. If you need to give it meaning, I would say
every undefined coordinator be defined as equivalent to "je" until
assigned a new meaning.

Alright.

"a" and "e" in your second example are syntactically free variables,
and we haven't as yet fully specified the rules for semantically
binding syntactically free variables..

"laka" is valid, though redundant to simple "la". A more interesting
example is: "lake ptfake tvlake" (A,E)/father(A.E): talks(A,E).

That is indeed interesting. So it seems there are in fact uses for this.

Your examples are not complete nonsense, they are just not something
likely to be said. They mean "the cat runs" and "for it with A being a
cat, it is the case that A runs and E eats".

Yeah, I picked some bad examples. I was more curious in general why these forms should even exist, but your example above seems useful.

Thirdly, if I'm reading the grammar correctly, then "qaeiouq" is a legal
stem and so is "qq". Is that true?

Yes.

(The grammar for q..q as written is ambiguous, it allows the same
string to be generated in more than one way, it should really be "q X*
q", with X being any phoneme other than q.)

That still allows the same names though. Isn't it weird to have a language that is almost exclusively CV (with some CC* in it) to allow VVVVVVV in names? The empty name is funny, however. "la qqa" could probably be shortened to "la qa" I think.

mu'o mi'e la selpa'i

--
pilno zo le xu .i lo dei bangu cu se cmene zo lojbo .e nai zo lejbo

doị mèlbi mlenì'u
   .i do càtlu ki'u
ma fe la xàmpre ŭu
   .i do tìnsa càrmi