Re: [engelang] Xorban Development

Jorge Llamb�as, On 01/09/2012 20:28:
On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM, And Rosta<and.rosta@hidden.email>  wrote:
More tricky stuff:

1. Conditionals. (A mu'ei-type analysis, I'd think.)
2. Donkey sentences: "Most farmers who own a donkey [are farmers who own a
donkey and] beat it".
3. Reciprocals of various sorts -- I'll try to dig out some complicated
varieties.
4. "twelve boys and girls"

For all of them I can see a way to a solution, but the details need to be
worked out, stuff needs to be invented,

4 seems the easiest:

la je nmpda je le nnle mneka le nxle mneka snga
Twelve(A)&  (boys(E): among(E,A)&  girls(E): among(E,A)): sing(A)
The twelve boys and girls sing.

Just as "twelve boys" means each of the twelve is a boy, so "twelve boys and girls" means each of the twelve is a boy or a girl (and that some of the twelve are boys and some are girls).

The way I'd do this would be with a binary 'union' operator "gV", "gV A B" = "V is the union of A and B":

la je nmpda ga le sme nnle le sme nxle snga

But we want something that will also cover "the girls laughed and sang", with the meaning "each of the girls laughed or sang, and some of the girls laughed and some of the girls sang". Would that be

la nxla ga le sme cmle le sme snga

?

I wonder if the logic would survive if gV were changed to ji:

la je nmpda ji nnla nxla snga

la nxla ji cmla snga

? I've not thought that through, and domestic duties claim my attention now.

--And.