Re: [engelang] intensions & extensions (Xorban)

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:

> However, if f & h were swapped around, I think it would work. To avoid
> confusion, I'll use tV rather than hV, and define f as a situation such that
> in "la fa X Ra", X and Ra are in the same world. In that case, tV could have
> the grammar of dV, and mean that in "la ta X Ra", X and Ra are
> not-necessarily-same-world; tV would be the intensionality marker.

Shouldn't the unmarked form be the more general one, and the marked
form the special case?

> la fa la mlta xkra jnve'ika
> She knows cats are black
>
> la ta fa la mlta xkra jnve'ika
> She believes cats are black
>
> [With "know" here used loosely, in the sense of "true belief" rather than
> "justified true belief".]

So more like "she's right that ... " (but possibly for the wrong reasons).

> So now how do we use tV for "I drew each ear of a cat" -- intensional
> version, where cat and its ears aren't necessarily in same world as drawing,
> but ears and cat are in same world as each other?
>
> The extensional version is
>
> sa mlta ri krlika pxro'ekaka'a
>
> I guess we could have
>
> sa mlta ri krlika ti pxro'ekika'a
>
> ... but as I currently have things, that means that the ears and drawing
> aren't necessarily same world.

I guess I just can't get an intensional reading here, since "sa"
requires an extension, even if one consisting of imaginary cats.

>I guess that defaults could give us that the
> cat is in the same world as the ears, too. But it won't work for
>
> Jorge laughed and drew each ear of a cat
> la ma xrxe je cmla su mltu ri krliku ti pxro'ekika
>
> which fails to place the laughing and drawing in the same world.

Doesn't "ti" yank just the i into a different world? Wouldn't o'e and
a remain in the same world? i and u would be in the same world by
virtue of both being arguments of krliku, in which neither is marked
by t-.

> Here's my suggestion, where "smika" means "smi(a)", "a is smi":
>
> lo mo xrxe la ta su mltu ri krliku smika pxro'ekako
>
> In summary, I withdraw my proposal for a fV-like hV, I adopt the proposal
> for a dV-like intensional tV, with the proviso that bare fV is extensional,
> and I further propose something equivalent to smika.
>
> I'm not really satisfied with "smika", tho. What we want is something that
> turns a variable into a predicate, meaning "x2 have the identity/haecceity
> of x1". Maybe hc-:
>
> lo mo xrxe la ta su mltu ri krliku hcika pxro'ekako

That seems to singularize the ears, right?

ma'a xrxe