Re: [engelang] intensions & extensions (Xorban)

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:

> Yes. I know you and Mike are asking whether a tiger in a film is a tiger,
> but I on the other hand am arguing for having one device for saying it is a
> tiger in the same world as the spectator (which doesn't rule out it being
> imaginary, if the world contains imaginary tigers) and another device for
> saying it is a tiger but not necessarily in the same world as the spectator

This second device seems more like d- than like f- though, since it
can apply to anything, not only situations/states-of-affairs.

> As for "she was talking to
> who she thought was John" I can't get that reading for "She was talking to
> John" (except in Free Indirect Style, where the narrator is describing the
> world as the subject perceives it to be).

How about "she was talking to God" (said by someone who doesn't
believe in God) or "she was talking to her dead husband" (said by
someone who doesn't believe in spirits)?

ma'a xrxe