Re: [engelang] intensions & extensions (Xorban)

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:
> Jorge Llambías, On 16/09/2012 04:07:
> >
> > Well, it seems it would be just as easy to define hV in the way dV
> > is defined, instead of the way fV is defined.
>
> "All the trees fell and I saw it" with fV-like hV is "la ha ro [tree]o
> [fall]o vska'aka". I don't see how to do that With dV-like hV.

la ha fa ro trco frlo vska'aka

like:

la da fa ro trco frlo vska'aka

So you could also say:

la ha trxa vska'aka

like

la da trxa vska'aka

> >> Which example do you mean? I did say (unclearly) that the x2 of
> >> "talk to" could be a "la fa la sma [future greatgrandchild of
> >> hers]a", where "talk to" here means "X speaks and X intends that
> >> the speech be directed to Y".
> >
> > "talk to a situation/state of affairs" doesn't make much sense to
> > me.
>
> How do you tell whether something is or isn't a situation? What is it
> about situations that make it nonsensical to talk to one?

Well, at the very least, the situation in which someone is a future
greatgrandchild of hers is a situation that contains herself as well
as the greatgrandchild, so if you say she talks to that situation, the
two cases of her talking to the greatgrandchild and her talking to
herself in that situation are not distinguished. I'm now not sure if
in your example "la fa la sma [future greatgrandchild of hers]a", your
using the same variable "a" with two different bindings was meant to
have significance or you just wanted to spare variables. I read it as
equivalent to "le fe la sma [future greatgrandchild of hers]a", and
there's nothing there to tell us that the greatgrandchild inside the
situation is being especially picked by le fe.

ma'a xrxe