Re: [engelang] reformulating the core grammar

John E. Clifford, On 09/10/2012 00:05:
I found it helpful when I discovered that this ."co re g rammer" was,
in fact only a phoneme strin generator, barely anuy connection with
syntax at al (hence the lack of quantifiers, for example). So, VkV is
joust a string of phonemes, not arguments to predicates or functions.
This confusion of levels seems to lie at the heart oof ,much of
should be a fairly simple grammar.

That last sentence got a bit garbled. Are you saying that because the BNF rules are a phoneme string generator (which indeed seems to be the case), the grammar overall is going to be fairly simple? My take on it is that the rules generating the grammar we understand the language to have are very simple -- I've spelt them out across two or three messages, a small handful of rules -- but that the phoneme string generator belongs in the bin (except as a kind of ad hoc notation for people who find it useful).

--And.