Re: [engelang] Xorban: Semantics of "l-" (and "s-" and "r-")

I assume you mean each person is unlikely to dislike his/her own mother rather than that it is likely that some persons does dislike their own mother. ra prna se mmteka  na [likely to dislike] ake.  The brackets because I don't know how you would handle "unlikely" (a modal of the statistical sort, I would say) and I am too lazy to run upstairs and check the word for "dislike".  I can imagine all sorts of problems with this, mainly of the "suppose he has more than one mother and likes some and not others" variety, which needs more sociological treatment than logical ones.

I always thoguth that english was your native language, yet you seem able to read what you say about your widget and not get immediately puzzled by what it means.   If it makes sense to you, please explain it to me.  If it doesn't, then that is the evidence that it makes no sense.  A is a single thing that has the properties of a cat.  So, A is a cat.  A cat has properties other than those specified in the encyclopedia for under "cat" or 'mlt' or whatever  -- at most, some of these properties are specidied as within the range of possibilities for a particular cat.  So, A, as a cat, may be black.  Aside from verifying that this a possibility for cats, it doesn't say much about cats other than A.  of course, it does verify sa mlta xkra, but not much else (logical equivalents aside).   As for your complaint about my way of doing things, I don't see what I do that is non-standard or that somehow requires special rules.  Yes, I want to know what makes a sentence true (when that is the relevant issue), but surely you want that too.  What is the point of sying something if there is no way of finding out whether it is true? (I leave out theological questions for the nonce.)

From: And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [engelang] Xorban: Semantics of "l-" (and "s-" and "r-")

How do you do "everyone is unlikely to hate their own mother"? With "si mmtika" and/or "ri mmtika", indifferently? I guess "si mmtika" is too weak, so you'd want "ri mmtika".
I of course deny that the Andoxorxesian singulating quantifier makes no sense, and have never seen any evidence that it makes no sense. But this is not because either you or me is an idiot but rather because you want a language whose formal rules tell you precisely which states of affairs involve la mlta, whereas I want a language that lacks such formal rules and leaves these decisions to the users. (What the formal rules do specify is that A is a single thing and has the property specified in the encyclopedia entry for mlt. The rest is up to the users.)
Can't we just agree to work on partly different languages and move the discussion on to something more productive?