Re: [engelang] Xorban: Semantics of "l-" (and "s-" and "r-")

Forgive the top-posting.

Here's my account of lV.

"la bcda fgha" acts semantically as if there is only one bcd. I.e. it's a myopic singularization (a term I invented in the salad days of my discussions with Jorge, tho by that I mean only that we were young, not that we were green in judgement). Hence it behaves like a constant. There are (rightly, IMO) no constants in Xorban, but their crucial logical property is that when there is only one X, some X is Y iff every X is Y; everything true of some X is true of every X.

The speaker of "la mlta xkra" isn't (necessarily) claiming that there is only one cat, that everything true of some cat is also true of every cat; rather, the speaker is presenting a linguistic representation of a state of affairs in which there is only one cat.

--And.

Mike S., On 06/09/2012 23:16:

I am creating a thread on this; it comes up every once in a while, beginners are going to ask, and it's a very important part of the language. Here was the original description of "l-".