Re: [engelang] Xorban: Semantics of "l-" (and "s-" and "r-")

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM, John E. Clifford <kali9putra@hidden.email> wrote:

1. No you can't, as witness the various interplays among the quantifiers.

What exactly are you asking for?  If you want FOL, it's there; Xorban "s-" and "r-" are in full force.  If you want to speak in human instead, then why not freely use "l-"?  If you don't like my proposed formalization, then feel free to give us yours.  I want to hear your ideas.  If you've been thinking about this for thirty years, then surely you have some constructive observations.

2.  I can translate about 90% of Lojban, less the pragmatic stuff, into FOPL in a fairly rule oriented way.  The main problem is with RHEs.  With this l, the percentage drops remarkably, since no l sentence goes over.  How many loglangs do you know and how much logic?

I know English, FOL, Lojban, and bits of other European languages and some other languages.  I also understand programming languages which while inhuman do tend to order one's thoughts in a very precise way.  Hopefully, what I write here in the Engelang group stands of its own accord.  If not, then I invite you to offer an opposing point of view.  I am here to learn.

3.  Lord, I hope so, but thirty years' experience leaves me unhopeful.

This is preposterous.   All human languages work fine in practice, so why couldn't a constructed logical language?  We just need to adopt the best formalization that we can come up with.