Re: [engelang] Xorban compounding revisited

Mike S. scripsit:

> Where we disagree is that I consider the tanru mechanism to be a sort
> of relief valve, not the bedrock of an entire logical language, as it
> is in Lojban.

As is the case in Gua\spi.

> I don't see anything inherently broken about "small stars",

The trouble is that the set of small things isn't well-defined.  It's like
the house in _The Phantom Tollbooth_ where the world's largest giant and
the world's largest dwarf live -- on investigation, they are the same:
an ordinary sized person.  Loglan resolves this by not having 'small'
but only 'x1 is smaller than x2', with the usual contextual default
for x2.  Lojban has 'x1 is small in property x2 compared with norm x3'.
Just having 'x1 is small' is not going to cut it.

> "pretty girls" or "black cats" being expressed as the intersection

These work well as intersections, I think.

> I have exactly zero desire to tanruize the entire syntax.

Good.

--
John Cowan  cowan@hidden.email  http://ccil.org/~cowan
In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side