Re: [engelang] Xorban compounding revisited

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM, John E Clifford <kali9putra@hidden.email> wrote:

So back to my logical point: a small star is not small, as the suggested form implies.  I don't btw see Lojban as inherently tanruized, but the tanru structures (properly understood) are a common and powerful linguistic device.  Why rejct them for even more restricted set of connectives which don't do the job at all?

I don't see the logic of your point.  Stars *are* small compared to galaxies, as well as large compared to cats.  If "small star" fails it's not because of the connective "je", it's because someone mistakenly interpreted "small" in some absolute way.

If I noticed, I forgot in the much that followed.  But what exactly are you suggesting then; it does not appear anywhere that I can find.

I am suggesting that we use <y> to form nonce compound stems that can be interpreted contextually like tanru.  Thus a computer virus could be a smpyvdr-, which doesn't imply that it contains RNA or DNA.

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com