Re: [engelang] Xorban Development

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:
Jorge Llambías, On 30/08/2012 02:34:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM, And Rosta<and.rosta@hidden.email>  wrote:
>> Jorge Llambías, On 30/08/2012 01:51::
>>>
>>> formula:= simple-formula (koi formula)? | complement formula
>>>
>>> (this only works because "oi" is not a valid variable in simple-formula)
>>
>> Why isn't oi a valid variable in simple formula?
>
> Because so far only V('V)* are variables.

I'd assumed V(V)* are variables, and we're writing <'> only because writing stuff in an obviously Lojbanish way stops us getting sidetracked by phonology discussion. I was further assuming that Lojban /'/ would not exist in Xorban, but that in V'Vthe <'> is intended as Lojban /'/ rather than <'>=<q>=[?].

>> I've forgotten what the difference between simple and complement formula
>> is, so am not able to work out how come it seems that "koi formula" occurs
>> in only the former.
>
> See: http://xorban.wordpress.com/grammar/

A complement is that which, when added to a formula, yields a formula?

Yes, absolutely.  On the surface, Xorban is much like a SOV language in some ways, and what are on the left feel a lot like complements.

Xorban / Latin / gloss
prmake / amat / A loves E
le nxle prmake / puellam amat / A loves the girl.
la nnla le nxle prmake / puer puellam amat / The boy loves the girl.

Everything above are sentences/formula.   Binder + restriction = free-variable-binding complement.