Re: [engelang] Xorban Development

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:

Mike S., On 27/08/2012 07:10:

> Honestly, I do want to leave final decisions to Jorge rather than to
> consensus. However, perhaps I was unfairly neglecting what you and
> Jorge might want. If you and Jorge both prefer development based on
> consensus, then I am okay with that too. Otherwise, Jorge is
> dictator.

I'd rather go with consensus and with forking into alternative variants where there is no single strong consensus, but what's more important is to avoid what Nick Nicholas called the "supplicatory model" of Lojban, where for undocumented aspects of the language, Bob LeChevalier or Robin Powell are treated by some as arbiters of what the undocumented rules are. (It's okay when Jorge is treated as arbiter of what the rules should be, because his rules are always the best ones available.)

If the time-and-energy wasting enormity of the xorlo debate is any indication, then perhaps the consensus-oriented discussion model is also to be viewed with some suspicion.

At least just for now, IMHO we should let the model be one of contributors sharing their input on language features, and then Jorge making a design choice.  All of our ideas will be on record, and if a misstep is made, Jorge himself can reverse the choice when that becomes evident.  Revisiting the model is always an open possibility, as is forking and generally people doing their own thing.