Re: [engelang] Xorban: Properties

From: Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: [engelang] Xorban: Properties

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we wished to use this, I would reorder the argument places of "ckj" and allow it to take a variable number of arguments.

I had proposed the same thing in a previous discussion with And, but
reducing it to ck-, which covers both "ckaji" and "ckini" (and all the
rest that Lojban doesn't have).

It seems like a good idea.

> I also think "bridi" can also be absorbed; that would be just a fV ckj-, would it not?

I think with "bridi" the speaker is not actually claiming that the x1
of bridi is true, just that it is a proposition with such and such as
selbri and such and such as arguments. So I don't think bridi is
equivalent to ckaji/jetnu/fasnu.

co ma'a xrxe

Okay, that seems right.

"bridi" is, at least originally (but god knows what has happened since) a syntax word, about a physical piece of language (or a class of such), so it is neither true nor false, only well- or ill-formed.  In a given situation, it expresses  (not "is") a proposition, which may be true or false, depending on the situation, or refers to a state of affairs which either does or does not obtain in that situation.   You see why I have trouble reading some of this thread.

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com