Re: [engelang] Xorban Terminology

From: Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: [engelang] Xorban Terminology

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:33 PM, John E Clifford <kali9putra@hidden.email> wrote:
From: Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM, John E Clifford <kali9putra@hidden.email> wrote:
Now I see why I am having problems.  Lumping all these things together as nary operators misses crucial distinctions among them, it seems to me.  It is still not clear to me, for example, whether d is more like l or m.  I think it is the latter, but the classification leaves that open.  By the way, the discussion around d, though brief, suggests that its F is not veridical, that is daFa does not require that a be an F.  In the case of f, the usage suggests that the context is intensional, that the formula refers across worlds (or is a function that does), but classification makes no note of that.

They're only lumped together syntactically.  Semantically they're split by their separate meanings.  Unary "m-" can be thought of as an operator that takes an arbitrary, possibly bizarre or undefined formula, interprets it formally as a mere phonological entity, and treats it as the equivalent of a Lojban cmene.  The difference from Lojban is that it provides an argument place so that it can serve as a predication.  Thus it's possible to say things like "la grka ma rkse" = "The dog is called Rex".  Note that "rks" need not be a defined predicate and "e" need not be bound, because the putative internal semantics of a formula under the scope of "m-" need not be taken in consideration in order for "ma F" to have a meaning.  Presumably, in the case of "la grka ma crba" = "The dog is called Bear", we could choose "a" for "crb" in order to invoke the characteristics of a bear, thereby invoking a less arcanely meaningful name (as opposed to "Rex"), but the apparent "binding" of "a" in this case would be only suggestive, not formal.

rks may not be a defined predicate, but it has the form of a predicate and, apparently, has an argument slot, so rksa is a formula and in la grka ma rksa, a is therefore bound by the l.  (Oh, and the name comes out as "ruckus")  I had understood m to be a predicate makers, taking a bare phonetic form (so presumably in quotes of some sort) , a returning a predicate "is called N".  Namaing, of course, does not usually imply uniqueness in a strict sense, only in context, so that whole groups or nations or whatever get names which apply to them individually as well as collectively.  l definiteness is contextual, but presumably works with names like rks.

You can say "la grka ma rksa" just as well as "la grka ma rkse", but my understanding is that the two names would be distinct.  The "a" in strictly the "ma" portion of "ma rksV" *is* a free variable that is bound from the outside by "la (grka)".  The V in rksV is not really a variable at all because the "m-" operator shall-we-say "onomastically encapsulates" the formula under its scope.   I agree with you that "la ma F" pragmatically is usually going to have a definite reading, but there will always be counterexamples - "Johns commonly have friends or siblings who call them Johnny".  Also, what's stopping people from using "m-" to call some invasive species of ant the {they sting you}s?  I don't think "m-" need entail definiteness.

My point is two fold: 1) by the general principle of Xorban, the name should be structurally distinct, since it is a distinct grammatical category and 2) it should not contain a V.  As for definiteness, I think that is pretty much contextual, unless you want to insist on it with d (however that works).  mV N is just a funny predicate.

As far as how "m" and "d" interact:  I don't know if "m" was intended to entail definiteness, though pragmatically at least that could be the usual interpretation.  That entailment is certainly not necessary though; plenty of natlangs incl Portuguese and ancient Greek generally require the definite article with proper names; others like French only sometimes e.g. "la France".  If Xorban followed this latter logic, then in order to be fully clear we might be forced to say "la da ma rkse se mlte vskake" for "[the definite entity called] Rex sees a cat", unless "l-" does the magic of "d-" for us.   Which brings us to:

As far as how "d" and "l" overlap:  I will save that for another time, because I am not sure there is any real difference.  Or at least, the difference is not easy to describe.  Perhaps it's that "d-" excludes generic readings, and "l-" does not.

Now I am at a loss.  l clearly binds a variable; does d?  I was taking d to be just a variant of m, using real predicates and applying them to selected objects, but without insisting that they fit.  So, da crba is a formula that says that "a is being said to be bears, but don't count on it -- you know what I mean", very like le in Lojban, in fact (which is about the only reason I can think of to have it).

Technically speaking, "dV" does not bind the V that appears in its own desinence (vowel-ending), but it does bind the V inside the formula over which it has scope.  Maybe the distinction would be clear if we thought of replacing every occurrence of V inside the formula under the scope of dV with V-prime.  In other words:

da crba' = d[A] crb[A-prime]
A is the discourse-salient entities satisfying {A-prime is a bear} wrt A-prime
(e.g. the bear that's been getting into your trash)

da ptfa'ke'e
A is the discourse-salient entities satisfying {A-prime is your father} wrt A-prime.

So far, my reasoning goes by my internalized understanding of the meaning of the word "definite".  If "d-" is supposed to be nonveridical, then it should be added to the language specification.  In that case we'd have

da crba'
A is the discourse-salient entities nonveridically (i.e. possibly but not necessarily in some intensional context) satisfying {A-prime is a bear} wrt A-prime

... which would change the semantics slightly but wouldn't change how the variables are handled.

Just a terminological point: if d doesn't find the V that immediately follows it, it doesn't find any other occurrences of that V either -- that;s just how binding works.  To be sure, the later occurrence of that same V has to refer to the same thing as the one with d, but that is just the way variables work.  Putting a different vowel in the slapped on formula would ruin the whole effect "for the a, Fb".  Salience is from the context of utterance, not something internal to the sentence (except insofar as that is part of the context, of course).  And please don't get intensionality into this; it's in a different ball-game.

As far as "f-" and intensionality, IMO intensionality should be something defined in predicate places, not something marked on the object/sumti or binders/gadri.  IMO I should be able to say "le fe lmna'a nlca'ake" = "I like to swim (intension)" and "le je tje fe lmna'a [hika] plkeka'a" = "I am [now] enjoying this swim (extensional)" without marking the object for intensionality because the predicate should be defined such as to indicate it.   Same as "le ckle nlca'ake" = "I like chocolate (intensional)" vs. "le cke [hika] plkeka'a" = "I am [currently] enjoying chocolate (extensional)".

No solution to questions of intensionality is going to be perfectly tidy, but this seems more messy than usual.  I don't see why nlc2 should be intensional nor why a sentence like "I like chocolate"  or "I like to swim" requires it to be (I would think that both of those require event arguments, however).  And similarly (to the opposite effect) for plk2.  I am not quite sure what h is about -- it wasn't on the list the last time I checked, but that has been a while.  & had it for "is the haeceity of", which doesn't fit here, free variable or not.   But to the cases: If there are not events of swimming that I like when engaging in them -- indeed, if I have never engaged in such -- then the claim that I like swimming is just false.  So, binding in applies and the whole is not intensional.

I am holding h- to be the C for several sundry experimental operators and particles I am trying to list here - http://loglang.wordpress.com/xorban/experimental/ ;  "hika" I just made up noncewise to mean "now/currently".  I would like to reserve "hik-" for tense markers until we get some official ones, if no one minds.

While it may be tempting to interpret "I like chocolate" as "I habitually enjoy [eating] chocolate" or some such, I don't think that's really what "I like chocolate" means; "habitually enjoy" seems to me extensional however unspecific, and "like" seems to me intensional even I am eating it right here and now.

Just what do you mean by "intensional" and "extensional"?  Whether or not it means "habitually enjoy", "like" is not obviously intensional in "I like chocolate" -- what other worlds are involved? (other than past and future ones, which are generally not other worlds for these kinds of questions).

I do wonder whether nlc and plk are as closely related as this paragraph suggests and, if so, why we have both of them.  Unless, of course, we are to get our predicates in pairs, an intensional one and an extensional one -- but, in htat case, I would hope that the relation and the difference would be overtly marked.

Lojban plk- would mean "x1 is pleasant to x2", and I just tweaked it to "enjoy" in order to fit my illustration (keeping the same argument order in Xorban though).  Yes, I think that the extensional and intensional versions of predicates would be separate lexical entries.  That way the sentences "I saw a cat (but thought it was a rat)" and "I saw a cat (in the movie the watched)" would, or at least could, be expressed with separate predicates.

Well, if we go that way, I do hope we make the one derivative from the other so that we don't overdo the reduplication.  Now, tell, which of the two seeing sentences is supposed to be extensional and which intensional.  The first is clearly extensional, though "I saw a rat" in these circumstances, turns out to be intensional.  The second one is arguable, though I tends to see it as extensional on the ground that 1) there is a cat that I saw and 2) that cat is the same one I saw in another movie the week before and so is identifiable as such, just like the actor who was in both.

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com