Re: [engelang] phonology

Jorge Llamb�as, On 18/09/2012 00:54:
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM, And Rosta<and.rosta@hidden.email>  wrote:
Jorge Llamb�as, On 18/09/2012 00:06:
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM, And Rosta<and.rosta@hidden.email>  wrote:

la fa [we want to talk about Lojban's specification] va [we know where
Lojban list is] tta

"va fa", right?

I think not, tho I trust you more than I trust me, in these matters,

la fa je [we want to talk about Lojban's specification] va[=ni/nu] [we
know where Lojban list is] tta

Did I go wrong somewhere?

There's no free "a" in "[we know where Lojban list is]" for "va" to pick.

va doesn't bind; it is bound by fa. It generates the pair

fa je [we want to talk about Lojban's specification] nu [we know where
Lojban list is]
fa je [we want to talk about Lojban's specification] ni [we know where
Lojban list is]

I was thinking "je fa..., va fa ..." rather than "fa je ..., va ...".

No, that won't work, because donkey sentences require a variable after the va that is bound by a quantifier before the va (and before the je -- the je inserts as low as possible).

BTW, is "fa ju F1, F2" equivalent to "je fa F1, fa F2"?

I'll leave that one for Mike, who is the ju guru.
BTW, I would replace v- by nuk-, to fee up v-&  make the kinship with nu
apparent.

I thought about that too! But my idea was "nik". Since v- is ni/nu, it
seems more intuitive to me to associate it with ni.

I was also thinking of jek- for g-, what do you think?

Yes, nik and jek seem good.

Or ni'uk- even.

That's good too.
O dear, should we, or shouldn't we, be investing effort in buffing up the
little details that it's so hard to resist trying to get right, when all
might be swept away? Maybe even if the collaborative project heads off in
another direction we should keep classic Xorban as a thing of beauty in its
own right??

I'm trying to digest all the phonology discussion, but even though I
see the appeal of diphthongs for variables, I can't bring myself to
prefer it over the classic Xorban system.

That's a relatively small detail, and we can easily make simple Classic and New variants. If I get time, I will maybe sketch a New variant. But more radical would be to introduce tone and mark word-boundaries by low tone on word-final vowel sequences.

--And.