Re: [engelang] phonology

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:

It'd be great to have a core lexicon selected on the basis of utility and systematicity. It needs somebody with surplus time and energy -- lots of labour involved. I suppose one could start by going through the gismu, throwing away unnecessary gismu and sumti places, maybe noting possible instances where roots could comfortably be replaced by compounds, and adding predicates known to be missing. (Jorge must have a list of missing ones. The only one I remember from my days of Lojban using is "intend".)

Lojban gismu, Morneau's classifier system, Rick Harrison's ULD all come to mind.  Also, there is a large BNC list floating around.  One can always take a peek at the first 2000 most frequent English words and make sure they're all covered in the basic lexicon.  There is endless work to be done, so I do think your systematic approach is correct.  Maybe an engelang lexicon design guide will come out of it.

>> Right. We both know where the Lojban list is if we want to talk
>> about Lojban's specification.
>>
>> ObXorban: How would that last sentence be translated in Xorban? Is
>> there some odd illocutionary operator that we don't have yet
>> involved?
>
> I'd use the ordinary assertion marker, "ci" I think it is. Is that
> what you were asking, or were you asking what would be the xorban for
> the whole sentence?
>
> I'll rephrase: What is roughly the logical form of, and what does the
> if-clause modify in, "We both know where the Lojban list is if we
> want to talk about Lojban's specification."

I think the logical form is simply "All cases in which we want to talk about Lojban's specification are cases in which we know where the Lojban list is".

That seems to hold but I was thinking

"We both know where the Lojban list is if we want to talk about Lojban's specification"

somehow might involve elision of the logical form

"We both know where the Lojban list is, [and we could go there] if we want to talk about Lojban's specification"

or

"We both know where the Lojban list is, [and] if we want to talk about Lojban's specification [we could go there]"

or

"we both know where the Lojban list is and all cases in which we want to talk about Lojban's specification are cases in which we could go there"

???