Re: [engelang] intensions & extensions (Xorban)

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I see two distinct ways this could work. One way is [by defining
>> > predicates
>> > such that], within a given world, imaginary things are included in the
>> > extensions of physical things.
>>
>> That's basically my view, yes, if you replace "are included" by "can
>> be included". In some contexts they will be included, in others they
>> won't.
>
> Would "s-" permit the same leeway, or are the contextually construed "can
> be included" readings peculiar to "l-"? If the former then "sa je xnra
> pvsljrna pxra'ika" means approximately the same thing as the "l-" version,
> right? If the latter, then maybe we should say that "l-" is a nonveridical
> operator?

I would say the former.

Hmm, I am starting to get the impression that there is no real difference between "s-" and "l-" except how it behaves in scope wrt "r-".

> I am going to hazard that we are never going to want "le je xkre mlte
> vska'ake" to mean anything other than effectively
>
> le je [ha'e] xkre [ha'e] mlte [ha'e] vska'ake.
>
> where variable "a'e" is recycled in such a way that when it's used with
> "h-", it is implicitly bound to the world in which the discourse occurs.

You mean as a standalone sentence, yes? If you say "li fi le je xkre
mlte vkka'ake snva'aki" presumably you don't want to force "le je xkre
mlte vkka'ake" to occur in the world of the discourse.

The world of the dreamt need not be, and often isn't, the world of the dreaming.  So "li fi le je xkre
mlte vska'ake snva'aki" would be effectively:

[la'e dscrswrlda'e] li [lo smo] fi le je [ho] xkre [ho] mlte [ho] vska'ake [ha'e] snva'aki

Roughly, "I dream [of some possible world in which] I see a black cat [from that world]."  That's the effective result.  If the syntax allowed it we could more accurately write:

[la'e dscrswrlda'e ha'e] li fi le je xkre mlte vsk[h^]a'ak[h^]e snv[h^]a'ak[lo smo ho]i

...where the h-syntax over the variables are part of the formal definition of "snv-" and "vsk-", and the exact h-quantification over the whole sentence is pragmatically determined; "[la'e dscrswrlda'e ha'e]" = "in the world in which this discourse takes place" is probably the default and most natural interpretation.  I would say that ultimately only primitives, not variables or formulas in general, can interact with [hW] so there have to be some transformations to make sense of this.  For reasons not unlike the reasons keeping "ju" from changing restrictions, I think applying "hW" to a binding is the same as applying it to its predication complement alone, so we can rewrite the original as follows:

=> [la'e dscrswrlda'e] li fi le je xkre mlte vsk[h^]a'ak[h^]e [ha'e] snv[h^]a'ak[lo smo ho]i

The ad-hoc notation "[h^]" is intended to indicate that whatever hW applies to "snv-" also applies to that variable; in other words, the dreamer and the dreaming are in the same world by definition, so let's indicate that:

=> [la'e dscrswrlda'e] li fi le je xkre mlte vsk[h^]a'ak[h^]e [ha'e] snv[ha'e]a'ak[lo smo ho]i

Here's a big step.  I think that applying either "hW" or "lW smW hW" to a variable V is equivalent to applying that to the restriction of its binding, because from a predicate's point of view, that's what a variable is actually bound to.  Please note that "o" is intended to be a unique anonymous variable, not really "o":

=> [la'e dscrswrlda'e] li [lo smo ho] fi le je xkre mlte vsk[h^]a'ak[h^]e [la'a ha'e mslfa'a] [ha'e] snva'aki

Applying "hW" to a unary is the same as applying it to its complement:

=> [la'e dscrswrlda'e] li [lo smo] fi [ho] le je xkre mlte vsk[h^]a'ak[h^]e [la'a ha'e mslfa'a] [ha'e] snva'aki

We've already seen that applying "hW" to a binding is the same as applying it to its predication complement:

=> [la'e dscrswrlda'e] li [lo smo] fi le je xkre mlte [ho] vsk[h^]a'ak[h^]e [la'a ha'e mslfa'a] [ha'e] snva'aki

For the purposes of this illustration alone, I've defined "vsk-" extensionally, and now we have a formal definition of what that means.  It means that the seer, seeing, and the seen are all in the same world, as indicated formally by the double "[h^]".  Let's rewrite that so that [ho] over "vsk" gets applied to the restrictions of the variables of "vsk".

=> [la'e dscrswrlda'e] li [lo smo] fi le je xkre mlte [ho] vsk[ho]a'ak[ho]e [la'a ha'e mslfa'a] [ha'e] snva'aki

=> [la'e dscrswrlda'e] li [lo smo] fi le [ho] je xkre mlte [la'a ho mslfa'a] [ho] vska'ake [la'a ha'e mslfa'a] [ha'e] snva'aki

We're nearly done.  It is hopefully obvious by now that "hW je R1 R2" is shorthand for "je hW R1 hW R2":

=> [la'e dscrswrlda'e] li [lo smo] fi le je [ho] xkre [ho] mlte [la'a ho mslfa'a] [ho] vska'ake [la'a ha'e mslfa'a] [ha'e] snva'aki

"In this world i.e. the world in which this discourse takes place, I in this world do some dreaming in this world of another world in which I in that world do some seeing in that world of a black in that world cat in that world."

And yes, that's precisely what I'd prefer "li fi le je xkre mlte vska'ake snva'aki" to mean and nothing else, except that the sentence-level world is pragmatically determined as mentioned earlier.  I think the rules in summary are:

hW B R P => B R hW P
hW N F => N hW F
hW J F1 F2 => J hW F1 hW F2
BV RV P[hW]V => BV hW RV PV (definition of P)

One other note, regarding the default world of sentences:  If the discourse shifts to topics outside of actual states of affairs wrt the discourse, then IMO that probably should be marked at least once, or at the very least, a speaker should be availed the option of marking such a shift in discourse, maybe something like "I hereby declare we are now talking about Lord of the Rings".  After a speaker signifies that the discourse has shifted into a discussion about the Tolkien universe, one could say "Frodo dreamt about the ring" where the dreaming would occur in a Tolkienian world, and not in this one, and default [ha'e] would become default "lo {Tolkien's universe}o ho" or something.  Incidentally, the worlds of Frodo's dreams would not necessarily be those of Tolkien's universe as he could dream about things that didn't occur in Tolkien canon, but they would be worlds closely related.

But the main point after all of this writing, even if the above formal semantics is not accepted: "je xkre mlte" means "E is a black cat in W" i.e. within any single world, it doesn't mean "E is black in W1 and E is a cat in W2", because that's semantically nonsensical.

I admit I don't quite get h- yet. If I'm watching a movie, and there's
a black cat in it, I wouldn't have any qualms saying "le je xkre mlte
vska'ake" or "se je xkre mlte vska'ake".

I would say it's a question of the definition of "vsk", which is an open lexical design choice.  I think there are good reasons for both lumping and splitting approaches.  However, just to plug one reason to split rather than lump in this instance, if you touch a picture or a statue of a cat, it doesn't seem that you touch a cat, and a speaker who said he touched a cat when he touched a statue would seem rather uncooperative if not outright mendacious.  Another point is that if I see a black cat balled up in someone's home, I might see that cat without immediately recognizing what it is, but I still see that cat.  If see a cat in a movie or a child's drawing but don't recognize what it is, then it seems in that case that I do not see that cat.  It seems that the two meanings are similar with respect to perception, but distinct with respect to cognition and identity within or across worlds. For the record I don't care if "vsk" covers both meanings as long as there is a way to disambiguate if the speaker wishes to do so.

>> Presumably you don't want to say that what "R" really means is always
>> "lW1 smW1 hW1 R", because that would send us into an infinite regress.
>
> Right, please excuse the sloppiness. It doesn't make sense to apply "h-"
> more than once since what "h-" does is convert an intension into an
> extension, and that by nature can happen only once (we will never need
> intensions of intensions, or at least it seems very unlikely).

Even applying it only once per predicate, you would still get:

lW1 smW1 hW1 R
lW1 lW2 smW2 hW2 smW1 hW1 R
lW1 lW2 lW3 smW3 hW3 smW2 hW2 smW1 hW1 R

So you may need to treat predicates about worlds differently from
predicates about things in worlds.

Well regardless of whether my sloppiness inadvertently permits or entails that, you can't do that simply because it makes no sense.  Hopefully I successfully cleaned things up a little with this email.

>> > As a side note, I assume that "factual" would deictically mean
>> > something
>> > like "A is factual in the world in which the discourse takes place." I
>> > think we will need this meaning one way or another.
>>
>> The discourse or the situation being described? Couldn't you use it to
>> say "he dreamed that x was factual" without implying that x is
>> factual?
>
> I guess so, but wouldn't "he dreamed that x" be enough?

Sure, unless the discussion was about whether x was factual or
imaginary, and we want to point out that he dreamed it was factual
rather than imaginary.

Well I guess that would be just "fctl[h^]a" then.  The fact and its being a fact are in the same world, i.e. "A is factual in the world in which it is factual".

> The way I see things going, the question is not so much should we admit
> intensions in predicate places, but is it even possible to keep them out.
> IMHO there has to be a limit drawn somewhere, lest we end up with a language
> in which "[ha'e] la sma pvsljrna" is true.

I'd say "can be true" rather than "is true". That's how I see it, it
can be true in the right context.

I don't think that "[ha'e] la sma pvsljrna" should be allowed to be true under any interpretation given the stipulations that "pvsljrna" means "A is an actual unicorn" and "a'e" is bound to the world in which this email exchange is taking place.