Re: [engelang] intensions & extensions (Xorban)

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email>
> wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't make that distinction with the grammar. I would say (when
>> the clarification is needed):
>>
>> la je xnra pvsljrna pxra'ika
>> A/ imaginary(A) & unicorn(A): picture(it, A)
>>
>> la je ftca fa spjo'e pxra'ika
>> A/ factual(A) & explosion(A): picture(it, A)
>
> Wow. Why not "le je pxre mlte vska'ake" too?

If you mean "le je pxro'eke mlte vska'ake", yes, I don't have a
problem with it, although you are not saying whether you are seeing it
in the picture or outside of the picture. Otherwise I don't see it as
a similar case.

>I would not have expected
> you to handle this class of non-intersective adjectives with "je".

I'm not thinking of them as non-intersectives.

>  Is this
> how "fake gun" and "imitation crab meat" also get handled?  Surely it's
> closer to logical form to design some two place predicates that work like
> "pxr-".

"Fake gun", "toy gun", "plastic gun", yes, I would say they can be
intersective. "Water gun" would have to be "water-throwing gun" or
something like that.  For "imitation crab meat" I'd have to see what
you have in mind. It seems it could be "meat of imitation of crab" or
more likely "imitation of meat of crab", but neither of them is
intersective.

ma'a xrxe