Re: [engelang] Xorban Development

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:
> Jorge Llambías, On 25/08/2012 01:04:
> >
> > Hmm... OK, then I guess this makes the syntactic rules simpler, but
> > the rules for when it's appropriate to use an illocutionary operator
> > somewhat more complicated.
>
> What are examples of complications? Why not just put illocutionaries in
> the class of predicates?

Is it meaningful, for example, to negate such a predicate? The grammar
allows any predicate to be negated, but I'm not sure what it would
mean to say "I don't hereby command you to do so and so"? Or "I hereby
could command you to do so and so".

I think "Is it lunchtime yet, because I'm getting hungry" could be
analysed as two statements:

(1) I hereby ask whether it is lunchtime yet.
(2) I hereby assert that the reason I ask whether it is lunchtime yet
is because I'm getting hungry.

We mangle both into one utterance so as to not have to repeat the
portion that is common to both statements, but logically they don't
really belong in the same statement if I'm right that only one
illocutionary force per statement is allowed.

(The ones with quantifiers I'm still trying to figure out.)

mu'o mi'e xorxes