Re: [engelang] Logos Initiative

selpa'i seladwa@hidden.email [engelang] scripsit:

> Everytime you say that ("lojban is not a loglang", "lojban is a terrible
> language" :P ), I die a little inside, even though I think I agree with
> you that one can do much better than Lojban did.

Here's Fred Brooks, from his list of the woes of programming from _The
Mythical Man-Month_ (in Chapter 1, "The Tar Pit"):

    The last woe, and sometimes the last straw, is that the product
    over which one has labored so long appears to be obsolete upon
    (or before) completion.  Already colleagues and competitors are
    in hot pursuit of new and better ideas.  Already the displacement
    of one's thought-child is not only conceived, but scheduled.

    This always seems worse than it really is.  The new and better
    product is generally not *available* when one completes his own;
    it is only talked about.  It too, will require months [or years]
    of development.  The real tiger is never a match for the paper
    one, *unless actual use is wanted* [emphasis added].  Then the
    virtues of reality have a satisfaction all their own.

    Of course the technological base on which one builds is
    *always* advancing.  As soon as one freezes a design, it becomes
    obsolete in terms of its concepts.  But implementation of real
    products demands phasing and quantizing.  The obsolescence
    of an implementation must be measured against other existing
    implementations, not against unrealized concepts.  The challenge
    and the mission are to find real solutions to real problems on
    actual schedules with available resources.

I hope that helps you feel better.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@hidden.email
Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes of a creatific thinkerizer.