Re: [engelang] Xorban experimental tense markers

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 2:16 AM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email>
> wrote:
>> If l- was the epsilon thingy, quantifiers would then be defined as:
>>
>> sa sma mlta = la mlta mlta
>> ra sma mlta = la na mlta mlta
>>
>> (The latter could be read as something like "that which is the closest
>> thing we have to being a non-cat is a cat", which means everything is
>> a cat.)
>
> It hadn't dawned on me that such a sentence might surface from formalizing
> "l-" as the epsilon operator, but I think I could tolerate anything more
> than having no formalization at all.  A version of that sentence that we
> might more realistically encounter might be:
>
> ra sma sma = la na sma sma.
>
> What would your opinion of the truth value(s) of those sentences have
> been, before and after reading about epsilon calculus?

"ra sma sma" is obviously true.

As for "la na sma sma", since "l" presupposes a (single) referent for
"la Xa", and "sma" is true of anything, it has to be true as well.
This would seem to challenge the veridicality of l-, at least when
used with empty restrictions, which is fine with me.

co ma'a xrxe