Re: [engelang] Xorban experimental tense markers

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@hidden.email> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't think that we know what tense markers are ultimately going to look like, which ones we'll have, or how they'll fit in with worlds and situations, but for experimental purposes I would like to designate "hik-" for tense markers and create seven to start with.  All of these are relative to "now" meaning "at the time that this sentence (was/started) being uttered/written".

hika: currently, now, "it is now the case that F"

hiki: in the past, before now, "it was the case that F"

hiku: in the future, after now, "it will be the case that F"

hiki'e: in the near past, "F just happened"

hiki'o: in the far past, "F happened a while back"

hiku'e: in the near future, "F is about to happen"

hiku'o: in the far future, "F will happen eventually"

Thoughts?  Sound good for now?

At the very least, split out the actual tense from the quantitative part, so they are explicit and optional. It looks like you started out that way, then already collapsed them back into single words.

stevo

I was thinking of defining these in terms of situations, which are already built into the language and have the support of relative consensus.  Skipping the "near/far" versions and adding the "always" versions, the standard tense-logic operators P, F, H, & G are:

(P)Q = hiki Q:
= in the past / earlier / it was the case that Q
= so li dscrsfsni prcoki fo Q
= na hika'i na Q

(F)Q = hiku Q:
= in the future / later / it will be the case that Q
= so li dscrsfsni blvoki fo Q
= na hika'u na Q

(H)Q = hika'i Q:
= all times before now / it was always the case that Q
= ro li dscrsfsni prcoki fo Q
= na hiki na Q

(G)Q = hika'u Q:
= all times after now / it will always be the case that Q
= ro li dscrsfsni blvoki fo Q
= na hiku na Q

The present tense can be expressed as:

(N)Q = hika Q:
= currently / now / it is now the case that Q"
= lo lu dscrsfsnu cbnoku fo Q