Re: [engelang] Xorban experimental tense markers

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking of defining these in terms of situations, which are already
> built into the language and have the support of relative consensus.
> Skipping the "near/far" versions and adding the "always" versions, the
> standard tense-logic operators P, F, H, & G are:
>
> (P)Q = hiki Q:
> = in the past / earlier / it was the case that Q
> = so li dscrsfsni prcoki fo Q
> = na hika'i na Q
>
> (F)Q = hiku Q:
> = in the future / later / it will be the case that Q
> = so li dscrsfsni blvoki fo Q
> = na hika'u na Q
>
> (H)Q = hika'i Q:
> = all times before now / it was always the case that Q
> = ro li dscrsfsni prcoki fo Q
> = na hiki na Q
>
> (G)Q = hika'u Q:
> = all times after now / it will always be the case that Q
> = ro li dscrsfsni blvoki fo Q
> = na hiku na Q
>
> The present tense can be expressed as:
>
> (N)Q = hika Q:
> = currently / now / it is now the case that Q"
> = lo lu dscrsfsnu cbnoku fo Q

In addition to P, F, H, G, which we might call the s-past, s-future,
r-past and r-future, there are the simpler, less nuanced, l-past and
l-future with a singularized view of a single past time and a single
future time.

co ma'a xrxe

I wonder if we're not risking a bit of circularity here.  I do seem to recall some semantic explanations of "l-" invoking situations, something to the effect of "The speaker has some situation in mind when he says such-and-such".  Now the idea arises of defining some tenses and therefore some situations by invoking "l-".

I do vacillate on how to look at "l-", but I'll say that right now that I am not sure that "singularized" is the best way to look at it.  Where I am starting to lean is that "l-" is some sort of definiteness indicator, a loose one which happens to admit generic readings, such as "the lion lives in the jungle" (much as natural languages often use definite articles for very much the same expressions).   If this were admitted, then we could extend FOL with a sort of epsilon calculus (which is actually currently used in contemporary linguistics) and have finally a formal basis for "l-".  We could also dump "d-" back into the pool and have a plausible explanation for "l- m-".

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com