Re: [engelang] phonology

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:46 AM, selpa'i <seladwa@hidden.email> wrote:

Am 17.09.2012 03:27, schrieb And Rosta:

> selpa'i, On 17/09/2012 00:11:
>>> Nothing but [x, h] makes any sense.
>>>
>>> Agreed, and probably only one of /x h/ should be allowed. The
>>> other alternative is that /h/ is pronounced as the breathy-voiced
>>> glottal fricative which is how I suspect most English speakers are
>>> pronouncing Lojban <'> anyway, but that's a tricky sound
>>> cross-linguistically, isn't it. I remember some Eastern European
>>> saying on the Lojban list that he was using [G] for <'>, which I
>>> take as another indication that contrastive /h x/ is problematic.
>> Really? [x] is hard to distinguish from [h] for English speakers?
> No, e.g. /ihi/ and /ixi/ would be hard to distinguish for human beings in general.

So am I an exception? I couldn't really believe that, so I opened
Audacity and recorded [ihi] and [ixi] in random order. The difference is
like night and day to me, so I'm not sure what this is all about.

I'm not trying to send you on wild goose chases, but I would be curious of the result if you ran the same test on [uhu] and [uxu].