Re: [engelang] Xorban Development

And Rosta scripsit:
> Mike S., On 29/08/2012 03:10:
> > My understanding is, and perhaps John Cowan can tell us, is that
> > Lojban got some its ideas for attitudinals and evidentials from
> > Laadan.
>
> That's right.

Specifically, Lojbab learned about evidentials from Laadan and cooked
up a set a set for Lojban, possibly with help from Nora and others.
They were already in place in 1988, so it must have happened sometime
between Elgin's invention of the language in 1982 and the formal
publication of a reference grammar in 1988.

> > Xorban is getting some of its ideas from Lojban, which may
> > mean that Xorban is getting some of its ideas from Laadan.
>
> I think that's unlikely. The inventors of Lojban didn't know much about
> linguistics, and nowadays, thanks to the internet, it's very hard to
> know as little as one generally did in those preinternet days.

I don't know if you count me as an inventor or not (I don't), but I
certainly affirm that I know a good deal more linguistics now than I did
when writing the Red Book, although I think I was fairly careful not to
step on what was known to be known.  There are a few places, particularly
around Aktionsarten, where I was certainly skating on thin ice.

--
Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes    John Cowan <cowan@hidden.email>
of a creatific thinkerizer.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan