Re: [engelang] Re: Engelang phonology chat

Mike S., On 28/08/2012 00:21:
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Leonardo <leolucas1980@hidden.email <mailto:leolucas1980@hidden.email>> wrote:

     > I believe there is wide consensus in IAL-land that /a e i o u/ is an
     > optimum inventory for vowels (universal acknowledgement is a gross
     > exaggeration of course). A lot of people mix /@/ up with other things, and

    Yes. Here in Brazil /@/ is an allophone of /a/. In Portugal, it is frequently allophone of /e/ or /i/. The default epenthetic vowel of Brazilian Portuguese is /i/ (or /I/, non-contrastingly).

I believe that in French the schwa is sometimes considered an
allophone of /9/. In German, I don't know if it's considered an
unstressed allophone of /E/, but it sure sounds like it to my ears.

In my English, the schwa is pronounced exactly like an unstressed
version of "short u" as in <cut>; most Brits keep a pretty clear
contrast TTBOMK.

That's right.

In my reform of Lojban, which I named Tikybau, which I was working on
until about a week ago, I decided I needed seven vowels, so I
considered the following systems:

/a e i o u @ 1/ - similar to Lojban, except that Lojban does not
define [1] for its seventh vowel, even though that's plainly the only
practical choice for a seventh given the sanctioned allophonic ranges
of the other six.

For that reason I use [y] for the buffer vowel, which is ridiculous, but still the best way of coping with idiotic design.  I pronounce _zbasu_ as [zybasu].
/a E i O u e o/ - similar to Italian. Sounds nice, but too hard for
too many people IMHO.

/a e i o u 9 y/ - this is like French with the /E/~/e/ contrast
leveled or German with the /E/~/e:/ contrast leveled.

This is the one I favour, with 9 allowed a very wide allophonic range, so long as it is acoustically centralized.

I decided to make the sixth vowel /9/ (with the allophone [@] allowed
in unstressed syllables due to its frequency). /y/ is the seventh
vowel, which sees more use in Tikybau than in Lojban. My reasoning is
this: if people can pronounced /a e i o u/ with rounded back vowels
and unrounded front vowels, with a little practice, people can
pronounce /y 9/ too, and therefore that's probably the best choice if
you want seven vowels.

We think alike! Perhaps I go one step further in thinking that given that, for concision's sake, one wants the maximum number of vowels that are able to generally remain distinct, this 7-vowel system is the optimum one.

--And.