Re: [engelang] wiki (was: Re: Xorban Development

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:

Mike S., On 25/08/2012 07:25:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email <mailto:jjllambias@hidden.email>> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com <mailto:maikxlx%40gmail.com>> wrote:
> Should we start a dictionary? Perhaps we can put it up on that free wiki,
> > keeping backups for safe keeping.
>
> I might do that, if I can find where that wiki was.
>

> Gleki Arxokuna suggested http://loccan3.wikinet.org/. Presumably we could also create a http://xorban.wikinet.org so Xorban would have it's own space. To be honest I don't know who runs wikinet.org <http://wikinet.org> or how stable it is, so with all due respect to Gleki I am not sure we should go there.
>
> I could help you set up a Xorban blog on WordPress, and put the most up-to-date grammar on WP pages linked on the main menu (not blog posts, which is ephemeral). That's the way I'd do it. WordPress is like Yahoo. It's not going away.
>
> Lastly, it's possible that And's friends at LCS might set you up. There are many options. I am uncertain what's the right way to go.

Most conlangers I know use Frathwiki, a dedicated conlanging wiki. I believe that the LCS archive it in case it goes down.

Yahoogroups also allows for documents to be uploaded, tho possibly only accessible to list members.

I do hope that discussion will take place on the email list, tho. I find wiki-based (and bulletin-board-based) discussions impossible.

I agree with you re wiki-based discussions.  For that and other reasons I don't think a wiki is the best model for organizing the collaborative development of a constructed language.

Doesn't matter to me how we do it, but IMO this project would be best suited to something like a WordPress blog under Xorxe's control.  In case you are unfamiliar, WP blogs make a distinction between "pages", which are meant to contain relatively permanent & static information, and "posts" which are meant to handle more day-to-day stuff, like a daily journal or news.

The most current "official" phonology, grammar, word lists, etc. would be on pages maintained by Xorxe or whoever he designates.  These would be linked from the main menu.

Posts would be open to anyone given access.  Anyone could ask a question or make a proposal.  They would work more or less like this list.  The archives of the posts would be organized by month & year on the side bar of the blog.

Discussion would occur in the comment section under posts.  I would keep comments off the pages.  Alternately, comments could be closed and visitors directed to the Engelang list, but that would seem to me more of an inconvenience than a benefit.

I hope all that makes sense.

I could set up a blog now and hand it over to Jorge if he gets an account.