Re: [engelang] Xorban experimental tense markers

Mike S., On 15/10/2012 04:10:
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Jorge Llamb�as <jjllambias@hidden.email <mailto:jjllambias@hidden.email>> wrote:

    On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM, selpa'i <seladwa@hidden.email <mailto:seladwa%40gmx.de>> wrote:

     > la nnca nmra'aka
     > ? I'm two years.
     >
     > But a person can't be a year...

    I have no problem with "mi nanca li re" in Lojban.

Does that mean you wish to handle measurements the same way in
Xorban? I think the whole point of Lojban having these place
structures in which one of the arguments is a real number is to test
the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. To be blunt, the SWH is only of marginal
interest to me. If it's okay with everyone else, I'd just assume hose
some of this weird syntax out of the barn and replace it with
something like ("cbkp" = cabyku'e). What's your thoughts on defining
measurement words so that the place structure is "x1 is the [unit of
measurement]"?

la fa smo'e li nnci nmdeki hiki cbkpaki.
The situation lasted/persisted for two years.

Take this as another straw poll.

FWIW Livagian treats all scalar predicates like English "weigh", "x weighs y", e.g. "I weigh much", and also "I weigh-in-stone much/seventeen". So if you're asking whether Xorban should say "x lasted 2 years" or "x lasted-in-years 2", I'd go for the latter.

--And.