Re: [engelang] Xorban experimental tense markers

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM, selpa'i <seladwa@hidden.email> wrote:

> Roots that have only two consonants are automatically monosyllabic, e.g.
> _lk_ [l@k]. Some of these will even stay monosyllabic after a vowel of
> the desinence is added, e.g. _pr_ -> _pra_ stays very short. Such roots
> are very valuable and should be given to the most useful words
> (probabably things that are handled via TAGs in Lojban (tenses etc) and
> some additional words that are specifically needed in Xorban.

Yes, that's why I have for the most part avoided using two consonant
roots. I don't want that valuable space to be filled up before we have
a better idea of what we'll be needing.

> Lojban: x1 knows that x2 (du'u) is true about x3 [...]
> Gua\spi: x1 knows that x2 is x3:+2.

Is it easy to say "John knows many things about rabbits" in Gua\spi?
That kind of thing is the only explanation I have found for the
otherwise strange "about" places in Lojban predicates like "djuno".

> I'd like for Xorban's gimste to have no holes at all. Just throw in
> everything that people have always wanted (that is, don't just copy the
> lojban gimste).

The way I see it, we are just using the Lojban gimste as a convenient
source of vocabulary for our examples, it doesn't mean that they will
go directly into the Xorban dictionary when we get to that.

> This brings up a question I've wanted to ask for a while. Do Xorban
> predicates have no implicit zo'e in them? If you have, say, klm (klama),
> and you say klma'a, is this equivalent to klama zi'o zi'o zi'o zi'o?

Yes, I think so. The stem klm- would correspond to a whole family of
predicates of different adicities rather than to a single predicate.

> > I see cosmetic similarities to Lojban, because it was Jorge who came
> > up with the "skin" (the look and feel) and he evidently has a
> > fondness for Lojban.
>
> I hope so. I'd be sad if he left us. (Btw, xorxes, are you going to
> translate Through the Looking Glass? :P You did the first one, now only
> you can translate the second one or it wouldn't be the same styles in
> each book. Maybe we could do it together?)

Some day, perhaps. I already translated the Jabberwocky once. :)

co ma'a xrxe