Re: [engelang] Xorban wtf

John E Clifford, On 26/10/2012 20:29:
For several weeks now I have been reading what strike me as stranger
and stranger claims about Xorban. This leads me to wonder if they
seem strange to me simply because I have misunderstood what Xorban is
about. So I have decided to say what I have taken the project to be
and what I understand that to entail. I hope this will lead someone
to say where I have misled myself about what the project is up to or
what it is taken to involve.

Is it likely that there exists among your fellow xorbanists some tacit consensus of purpose of which you are unaware? I don't think so.
A loglan is a language readily usable by humans -- as opposed to by,
for pertinent examples, machines and Vulcans -- which displays
unequivocally the logical form of the utterances made in it. The
display need not be transparent, the form immediately perceivable,
but the discovery process must have a unique (and correct) product
for each utterance, and must be one that a normal person could carry
out in a reasonable time. The logical form is defined by formulae in
a developed logical language. JCB, who was not actually building a
loglang for all that happened later to his project, chose FOPL,
which, to be fair, was about all that was available to him. Since
that time, many more systems have been developed (the current edition
of the Handbook of Philosophical Logic runs to over 6,000 pages and
many items are mentioned only in bibliographic notes) to cover
logically significant matters that FOPL does not. There are also many
not logically significant utterances which are vital to language but
which have not place in logical systems. JCB dealt with new items
that came to his attention by either working them into the syntax of
the underlying logical system or by slapping them onto his language
ad hoc. In this he was on the right track, since most of the later
logical systems have developed their languages by expanding syntactic
categories in FOPL or by just adding stuff on to it, with rules to
explain where it fits in. So, now, starting a loglang, we can take a
logical system that covers all we thing it should cover (which
probably means about as broad a system -- or rather set of systems,
since no one system covers all of language usage -- as possible). I
suppose that this is an intensional logic with added pieces for
questions and commands, for various other speech acts, and for
epistemic and deontic structures (at least -- but these may be within
the predicate structure), and presumably a little set theory (C and
L). As noted, we could start from FOPL and build, but the results are
likely to be chaotic (Loglan and Lojban, e.g.) in various areas.

I take the Xorban project to be to build a loglang better than Loglan
or Lojban (or gua/spi, for all I know).

As for the above, my answer is "Yes sort of, but". For me (& I know others such as Mike and Martin and you don't share my view), the loglang should unambiguously encode *logical form* but needn't engage with logics, where by logics I mean ways of formally modelling the world in order to make it possible to state propositions about the world. By logical form, I mean the relations between operator and variable and between predicate and argument: I mean that not as a definition but as a rational claim that all formulae are fashioned from these elements, and if I'm wrong in this claim I'd be delighted to be shown where I err. I have very much not read any of the 6000 pages of the handbook of philosophical logic, but I suppose them to be about logics rather than logical form.

I'm not saying that semantics doesn't matter -- only that the formal part of the lg, and the part that makes it a loglang, doesn't extend into semantics.

--And.