Re: [engelang] Xorban compounding revisited

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM, selpa'i <seladwa@hidden.email> wrote:

> 2. Transitive compounds
>
> These are common in Lojbanic languages. One example are the -gau lujvo,
> e.g. "kakygau" decomposes into "gasnu lo nu klaku", that is, the first
> part of the lujvo gets inserted in a place of the right part of the
> lujvo. Right now, these can be handled using the usual Xorban syntax,
> but it's a bit clumsy sometimes.
>
> la mmtaka'a le fe klka'a gsnake
> My mother brought about that I cried.

We have unary operator b- for this, which introduces an agent, so in
this case that would be just:

la mmtaka'a ba klka'a

> Note that instead of the usual gasnu definition x1 brings about x2 (fa),
> we could also use a slightly different one: x1 makes that x2 does/is x3
> (fa). Trying to use this makes me note that it's not possible, since
> Xorban requires every formula to have a desinence, and there is
> currently no variable that refers to a ce'u-like thing, if there were,
> however, then:
>
> la mmtaka'a le fe klke'u gsnaka'ake
>
> Here, klke'u is a sort of abstract infinitive, and is filled
> automatically by whatever is in the x2 of the (altered) gasnu.
>
> This solution is yet longer than the first, though, so maybe this kind
> of place structure isn't the best for Xorban.

The way I would do this would be to define a predicate as "x1 makes x2
be x3", so:

la mmtaka'a le klke glfaka'ake

When we introduce aspect, we can distinguish "one who is (now) crying"
from "one who (habitually) cries".

> Anyway, these are fine as normal sentences, but I think they could be
> shortened a little bit by introducing a new binary operator that creates
> transitive compounds. If possible, I would propose "jo", otherwise, pick
> one that would work.
>
> The semantics of "jo" would be that one of the left formula's places
> gets filled with the right formula, depending on which ones have the
> same type (event of concrete), and it would also be hard-coded into
> place structures which places get filled in such compounds.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> la mlta jo gsna'a plpa
> The cat, I make that she jumps
> I made the cat jump.
>
> The other sentence becomes:
>
> la mmtaka'a jo gsna klka'a
> My mother, she made me cry

Is there a difference betweeen "jo" and "ju"?

> Here is another example to round it off:
>
> la bdna jo tca kkta
> Bananas are very delicious.
>
> (I think tc- should be the root for "x1 is very x2 (fa) (unless you're
> planning on introducing lambda calculus à la ka-ce'u into Xorban)).

It could be just "x1 is very x2" without any "fa".

la glka tca'aka
Happy ones, I'm very much one of them.

> 3. Loose, metaphorical compounds
>
> These are just to fill the gaps that remain. Sometimes, a human being
> won't want to care about perfect logic and just throw together some
> words freely. I had some other solutions for this, but again they seem
> to be meant for a language other than Xorban. This suggestion seems to
> work:
>
> cpno'e zfra'a
> I am birdly free.
> I am free as a bird.
> Some other vague meaning.
>
> Maybe it can be made even more referent-less, by using the
> aforementioned -e'u variable:
>
> cpne'u zfra'a

Those are two sentences though. You need either a coordinator or a
binder to make them into one sentence:

  je cpno'e zfra'a

  li cpni zfra'a

co ma'a xrxe