Re: [engelang] Xorban experimental tense markers

Am 30.09.2012 17:40, schrieb Jorge Llambías:
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM, selpa'i <seladwa@hidden.email> wrote:

I thought Xorban was supposed to be simple grammatically, and "logical"
whatever that means. If it is indeed supposed to remain simple, then you
don't even need any new mechanisms for tense, you already have ju.

I agree that tense doesn't merit any additional grammatical
complexity, but the particles proposed by Mike would just be
additional members to the already existing selma'o NA, no new
mechanisms.

If
you accept my sentence variable u'a,

Is "u'a" the situation described by the current utterance?

Yes.

then any tense can be expressed
using the appropriate predicate and a ju-clause. Where such a predicate
is missing, a new one should be created.

For example:
"I will go to the store." Is the same as "My going to the store is in
the future [of now]."

Using ju + u'a, we get:

le zrce ju lo cbno blvu'ako klma'ake

If we find that "ju lo cbno blvu'ako", which has the same grammar as a
unary operator, is something that we might want to say often, we could
assign that meaning to a unary operator.

Fair enough, and I agree that it is very lengthy, but clearly also not optimally phrased.

But doesn't that also say that my going to the store in the future of
now is in the future of now, and that that is in the future of now,
and that also is in the future of now, and so on? If "u'a" is like
Lojban "la'e dei", it has some regression problems.

The idea was that "u'a" (or the restrictive phrase it is in) would not be part of the sentence when you expand it, otherwise you get recursion. That is, the expansion yields two sentences, not a single one.

le zrce ju bvu'a klma'ake
To the market, in the future, I will go.

Or:

le zrce lu bvu fu klma'ake

That is also nice. I'm not sure my idea is very useful anymore, it's probably meant for a different language.

co q selpahi qa'a

--
pilno zo le xu .i lo dei bangu cu se cmene zo lojbo .e nai zo lejbo

doị mèlbi mlenì'u
   .i do càtlu ki'u
ma fe la xàmpre ŭu
   .i do tìnsa càrmi