Re: [engelang] reformulating the core grammar

As I said, a minor point so long as the quantifier phrase is complete.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 1, 2012, at 1:56 PM, "Mike S." <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM, John E. Clifford <kali9putra@hidden.email> wrote:

Frankly, I prefer just making the bad sentence a non-sentence and be done with it.  But I suppose that complicates the rules (not that getting it right can really be called a complication).

The pointlessly bound V puts us in the same quandary as the unbound V:  Yeah sure we can just declare it formally ungrammatical, but there is nothing stopping someone from actually using it with some sensible intending meaning.  So probably it makes as much sense just to anticipate that and give it the most reasonable interpretation possible, however vague.

Things in Xorban like "sa mlta vska'ake'e" can be translated pretty straightforwardly in English as "Some cat is such that I see you".  That seems to convey that some cat has a connection of an unspecified nature to the situation in which I see you.  My best guess that would be captured by "sa mlta [je pso'eka] vska'ake'e" or perhaps "sa mlta [ju pso'eka] vska'ake'e" = Some cat is such that, something pertaining to it, I see you.  If the speaker really doesn't want to mix the cat and the seeing, then he should say something like "je sa mlta sma vska'ake'e" -- some cat is something and I see you.

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com