Re: [engelang] The future of languages.

27.9.2012 16:58, Leonardo Castro wrote:

2012/9/26 Risto Kupsala <risto@hidden.email>

25.9.2012 23:41, Leonardo Castro wrote:
Thank you. Eliminating consonant voicing contrast would be harmful for word recognition/mnemonicity,

Yes, but Toki Pona, a conlang with the alleged striking number of "at least three fluent speakers",
has only
nine unvoiced* consonants (/p, t, k, s, m, n, l, j, w/).

*: with no voicing contrast, to be more precise.

Toki Pona is designed to be minimal and it doesn't really care for word recognition. The words came from natural languages but they were modified without mercy, like: box -> poki, bona -> pona. It's fun but I think that it should be more serious to convince all kinds of people.

I know that I am already now stretching some things in Pandunia. I can't afford to make it much weirder. It is supposed to be an auxlang, you know, though it is miles away from the Eurocentric mainstream.

-- Risto