Re: [engelang] Xorban: Semantics of "l-" (and "s-" and "r-")

* Tuesday, 2012-09-11 at 23:12 -0300 - Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email>:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Martin Bays <mbays@hidden.email> wrote:
> > * Tuesday, 2012-09-11 at 11:15 +0100 - And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email>:
> >>
> >> The current situation is the one the truth-conditions of the l-
> >> formula is evaluated against. I think distinguishing situations from
> >> UoD is a helpful move.
> >
> > Maybe. But in situational semantics (disclaimer: I don't actually know
> > anything about situational semantics), claims are still meant to be
> > evaluated against whole worlds.
>
> I don't know anything about it either, but the second sentence from
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/situations-semantics/
> says pretty much the opposite:
>
> "In situation semantics, linguistic expressions are evaluated with
> respect to partial, rather than complete, worlds."

Hmm. I was going off Kratzer's '89 paper, where she seems to use
situations purely as calculational devices - declarative sentences are
interpreted as claims that the sentence holds in the world, but the
interpretation process sometimes involves considering situations. In
fact she specifically ensures that sentences are "persistent" - true in
a situation iff true in the situation's parent world.

But yes, some things in the encyclopaedia article (see section 3 in
particular) are doing it differently, and more in line with what
I thought And might be doing.

So quantifiers would (unlike in Kratzer) be evaluated in the obvious way
in a situation, with no mention of the parent world?

I'm not clear on how to handle intensions, though. e.g. would it make
sense to say something like
    "la mlta [a might have many kittens]" ,
or would the assumption that there's a unique cat bleed over into
other worlds? Would it make a difference if "might" were replaced with
"will"? I'm assuming that "does" is right out.

> >  In what sense is that equivalence to be read? If we interpret both
> >  sentences within the same situation, and that situation satisfies
> >  the presupposition, then of course they get the same truth value.
> >  Is that all that's meant?
>
> Yes, that's about it.
>
> > Or do you mean something stronger, that when speaking I can
> > substitute one for the other and expect to convey the same
> > information? I don't see how to get the latter.
>
> How is it stronger? When speaking, I am describing some situation, and
> therefore I can substitute one for the other and expect to convey the
> same information.

I'm not sure anymore what I was worried about. So the presupposition
breaks out of scope, and we have

na la mlta xkra  -->  "ATTENTION: evaluate the following in a situation
			containing a unique cat! It's false that the
			unique cat is black" .

OK.

Martin