Re: [engelang] Xorban: Semantics of "l-" (and "s-" and "r-")

John E. Clifford, On 11/09/2012 15:19:
In one suntans we are told we are sticking to the syntactic rules, in
the next we are dealing with the universe or a situation that
fluctuates from word to word ( so deep in semantics)

Obviously you've misunderstood, but I'm not sure what, because you don't make that clear.

and the we suddenly have presuppositions (pragmatics).

I consider presuppositions to be part of logical form, outside the scope of illocutinary operators. Definitely not pragmatics. In Yourban it can work however you say it works.

So far as I can make out the situation in &'s mind is that there is
a quantifier l, which picks out an object from the reference class
(or maybe a bunch oh objects from the reference class, but that
introduces new problems). No problem here for l as either long scope
or shortscope s or even as requiring that it picks out exactly one
thing. At this point, there is, it appears, an unprecedented move
the universe, which is traditionally taken as fixed, or the
situation, which is traditionally taken as capable of expansion only,
contracts so that the reference class is now reduced to this one
selected item. This is accomplished apparently by a presupposition of
using l that la Ra Pa <=> ra Ra Pa <=> sa Ra Pa holds. Now aside from
the impropriety of the move and the inherent unlikelihood of the
presupposition, the real question is why all this work, what is
supposed to be accomplished? I get the idea from the talk of myopic
singulars, that the object selected by l is meant to be a reliable
guide about the whole reference class -- before the collapse. This
the jump I cannot fathom: the object is singular, but not myopic. It
is a good (indeed the only) representative of the collapsed
reference class, but not necessarily of the real reference class we
thought we were dealing with and presumably wii be dealing with
again. Where is the missing piece (unlikely as it is).

"la bcda" presupposes that there is only one bcd. End of story. That's all the grammar says. The rest is up to the users. There's nothing more to say about the language design. We can discuss the pragmatics of it, but I'd rather focus on design issues for the time being.

If you found the rest of what I wrote confusing, set it aside, and consider me only to have said: ""la bcda" presupposes that there is only one bcd; that's all the grammar says."

--And.