Re: [engelang] Xorban: Semantics of "l-" (and "s-" and "r-")

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:

> The problem is that it requires the hearer to remember the most recent
> restriction for every vowel morpheme. That's a huge burden on memory. Most
> of the memory effort is wasted. And it violates the way human language
> works, because the mind throws away nonsemantic info as soon as it's been
> processed.

Maybe this will be regulated to some extent by the limitations of the
speaker. If the speaker can manage to keep the variables straight, the
hearer should probably manage too. If the speaker can't, they will
repeat the restriction instead of reuse one that they remember.

> The forethought version of this, where you give a V'u name to a
> restriction, is more acceptable, though still crude and memory-taxing.
>
> For reference tracking we have dV, and can introduce new devices if
> necessary. The implicit binding scheme doesn't substitute for
> he/she/it/they, since the pronouns pick out a previous referent, not a
> previous restriction.

The rule was not introduced so much as a possibly convenient way to
substitute for he/she/it/they but as a way to give some meaning to
otherwise meaningless productions. If it proves too taxing, it won't
be used, just like 5000 word sentences, which are valid productions
and are meaningful, but are unlikely to be used.

In any case, I agree with you this is not part of core Xorban and we
shouldn't probably spend too much time worrying about it at this
stage.

ma'a xrxe