Re: [engelang] Xorban: Semantics of "l-" (and "s-" and "r-")

Jorge Llamb�as, On 11/09/2012 02:32:
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM, And Rosta<and.rosta@hidden.email>  wrote:
For reference tracking we have dV, and can introduce new devices if
necessary. The implicit binding scheme doesn't substitute for
he/she/it/they, since the pronouns pick out a previous referent, not a
previous restriction.

The rule was not introduced so much as a possibly convenient way to
substitute for he/she/it/they but as a way to give some meaning to
otherwise meaningless productions. If it proves too taxing, it won't
be used, just like 5000 word sentences, which are valid productions
and are meaningful, but are unlikely to be used.

In any case, I agree with you this is not part of core Xorban and we
shouldn't probably spend too much time worrying about it at this
stage.

Without wanting to spend too much time on this topic, I think that a better way of giving meaning to otherwise meaningless productions would be to assign to the unbound morpheme the value it had the last time it was bound by an l- that is scope-free (i.e. not necessarily within the scope of something else).

This would give the morphemes a ko'a-like function. Again, use of V'u morphemes would make life easier for the interlocutors.

--And.