Re: [engelang] Re: Engelang phonology chat

If there is such a bias, it must be universal, but I don't know if there is. I suspect it's universal, that the i/y contrast is greater than u/M, but I can't cite formant values or a phonetics textbook to support that.

On Aug 29, 2012 3:39 PM, "Leonardo" <leolucas1980@hidden.email> wrote:
--- In engelang@yahoogroups.com, And Rosta <and.rosta@...> wrote:
> There are very few parts of the UK where it's still [u] and in some parts it's already [y]. As for filling the gap vacated by GOOSE, some dialects pretty much have _too_ [ty], _tool, tall_ [tu].

The bias towards /y/ and against /M/ * is something universal or (Indo-)European?

* I'm using X-SAMPA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-sampa

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional