Re: [engelang] xorban compounds

Jorge Llamb�as, On 27/08/2012 01:55:
On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM, And Rosta<and.rosta@hidden.email>  wrote:

Mike S., On 25/08/2012 23:41:
What about a compromise?

Would {ifi} work as a(n optional) hyphen? Or any {VfV} where the vowels
are the same? I may be wrong, but it seems to me that currently {ifi}
following a predicate stem is not going to have a valid meaning.

If fsna menas "a happens", then "li smi fsnifi" would have to mean
something like "things happen as they happen", or "things happen in
the event in which they happen". Even if you say that the event that
happens and the event of it happening are necessarily different
things, it doesn't seem to be something that the grammar should
impose.

But any instance where ifi might actually possibly make any sense is so rare and contrived that you could use some other means of expressing it. For instance, if sm is like Lojban du, then your "li smi fsnifi" could be done as "za zi je fsnafi smaki".

Alternatively, reserve {ifi} for hyphen and change your  "li smi fsnifi" to  "lu smu fsnufu".

--And.