Re: [engelang] Binary Trees by Tone

Mike S. scripsit:

> To be honest, when I studied Gua\spi a while back, I was put off a bit by
> the need to articulate *six* tones.  I am probably not as anti-tone as most
> Westerners; even though they don't come naturally to me, I don't mind
> putting up with anything up to four, especially if they can be analyzed as
> underlying LL LH HL HH.  Past that, I do think that it gets tricky and that
> there are some good cross-linguistic reasons to avoid that in auxlangs and
> loglangs if you are plying your wares to an international audience.

I agree.  However, only four tones drive the tree grammar.  The other two
exist to mark an NU-clause (a variant of HL) and a "tosspot" compound
(a variant of HH).  Note that Gua\spi trees are n-ary, not binary.

My critique of Gua\spi is at http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/guaspi/old/cowan.msg

--
I could dance with you till the cows            John Cowan
come home.  On second thought, I'd              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan