Re: [engelang] Re: [jboske] LoCCan3 development ideas.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hadn't seen the full thread on Jboske until yesterday.  I think it's
> perfectly sensible to reserve two variables for "me" and "you".  This is
> pretty much what deictic references are, variables bound by discourse
> circumstances.  We'd probably want several of these, actually.

I was thinking of perhaps reserving the 25 V'V variables for
pre-assigned or assignable constants.

> Thank you for giving me a glimpse of how And's event slots work and are
> meant to be be used.  Has there been a previous discussion/description of
> them anywhere on Jboske or Conlang-L or elsewhere?

He has talked about them on the Lojban list at least, but years ago.
I'm afraid I can't give you specific references.

>> la le nnle li nxli tvlekifa vska'aka
>> The x which the y which is a boy the z which is a girl, y talks to z
>> in x, I see x
>> I see the boy talking to the girl.
>
> I take it that the {l-} encodes something like specificity or
> definiteness, but what is the exact meaning and logical mechanism?

All I know is that the variable quantified by l- acts basically like a
constant, if that's what you call specific/definite.

> What are
> the other basic quantifiers?   {r-} for universal and perhaps {s-} for
> existential?

Those are the ones I have so far. I don't want to include Lojban's
"no" because it can easily be obtained as "na s-" and so it's not
worth wasing a C- on that. Same for "na r-". Perhaps we may add "m-"
for "many".

> How are generics as in "I like chocolate" handled in this language?

So far with "l-". That's how I handle them in Lojban, with "lo". "la
ckla nlca'aka".

>> Alternatively, and perhaps easier to parse:
>>
>> la nnla le nxle li tvlakefi vska'aki
>> The boy, the girl, the event in which he talks to her, I see it.
>>
>> Also perhaps things like:
>>
>> la nnla le nxle ri tvlekafi xnrafi
>> The boy, the girl, every time she talks to him, he blushes.
>
> Is the scope of {a} and {e} here wider than that of {e} and {i} in the
> earlier example?

The scope is completely determined by the parse. So:

 la nnla: (le nxle: (ri tvlekafi: xnrafi))

But the logical properties of "l-" mean that you can move them around
quite freely, so:

 le nxle: (la nnla: (ri tvlekafi: xnrafi))

has the same meaning, and so does:

ri (la nnla: (le nxle: tvlekafi)): xnrafi

> Are there situations in which variables like {a} "stick"
> and become essentially anaphora, and if so when?

I don't know. We could have some of the reserved variables behave this
way, but that would mean you have to plan in advance which argumants
you would want to keep around.

> In which situations are they short scope?

Definitely when bound by "r-" and "s-" they must stay within the
quantifier's scope. When bound by "l-" there's more room to play with.

>> One other thing I thought about is numbers. I would not make them
>> quantifiers as in Lojban, but just ordinary predicates: "x1 is one",
>> "x1 are two", "x1 are three", etc, basically Lojban's "PA mei". They
>> could be constructed by assigning a letter to each digit and then
>> reserving a prefix (say nm-) to form each predicate: nmpa "a is one",
>> nmra "a are two", nmxxxa "a are 666".
>
> I am curious about "noun phrase"/term syntax but I think I've asked enough
> questions for now.

The only connective we have so far is "je", so we can have:

la je nmca je xkra mlta je bjra le smce jrsake
"The three black cats run and chase mice."
The x such that (three(x) & (black(x) & cat(x))): (run(x) & (the y
such that mice(y): chase(x,y))

It would be nice to have something along the lines of your serial
predicates, but I can't just string predicates together with the
current grammar.

>> That's about all I have so far.
>
> It's a promising start.  I hope that you will continue to develop it.

Only if there are more questions. :)

mu'o mi'e xorxes