Re: [engelang] Re: [jboske] LoCCan3 development ideas.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@hidden.email> wrote:

> I agree that it is a wise choice to start a conlang with few words,
> unless one is sure that his/her language will have lots of adherents
> (and it is not easy to get them in a list where everybody has his/her
> own conlang). Otherwise, it might be an enormous waste of time. If we
> had a consensus, we could create it together.

The vast majority of the possible students of any of these proposed
languages are people who aren't already thinking about any of these
questions, but might like to learn a language that's fun or useful to
them somehow.  What will cause a language to have students isn't
really the quality of the design decisions-- students, not knowing
anything about the language, can't really appreciate those at first--
it's the quality of the teaching materials available.  I think you
could get a community of people to learn absolutely any language, even
and especially one that's completely absurd and useless, if you just
make good teaching materials.

The main problem with reaching a loglang consensus is that there's
already a consensus on our silly friend Lojban.  Any new language
anywhere in the vicinity is just going to have to put up with the
rivalry and comparisons.

> It's funny to note that a native anglophone, whose language accept
> very complex syllables, would probably find more difficult to
> pronounce some of these words than speaker of languages with simpler
> phonotactics, because native anglophones pronounce final "o" and "e"
> of foreign languages as /ou/ and /ei/, and this would mess the
> word-break detection of a conlang with the above mentioned rules.

Yes I've been struggling for years based on many traumatic experiences
learning and teaching Lojban to make a system that's anglophone (and
everyone else, but, realistically, especially anglophone) friendly.
Trying to teach anglophones to make less sloppy vowels is both
difficult and pretty irrelevant to the properties of language we're
actually trying to explore here.  I experimented with various
seven-vowel systems, but finally I decided I had to get it down to
five to reduce the number of imaginary future vowel-related
conversations in my mind to a tolerable-seeming level.

<3,
mungojelly