Re: [engelang] Re: [jboske] LoCCan3 development ideas.

I agree that it is a wise choice to start a conlang with few words,
unless one is sure that his/her language will have lots of adherents
(and it is not easy to get them in a list where everybody has his/her
own conlang). Otherwise, it might be an enormous waste of time. If we
had a consensus, we could create it together.

I had a very long conversation by e-mail with the already famous
anti-Esperantist Justin B. Rye. When I showed him a possible set of
rules to make an alternative to Lojban with phonotactics no more
complex than those of Japanese or Swahili (but still keeping
word-break detection), he answered with a simplified version of it
that was much easier to state:

1. Every word can be described by [(C)V(N)] *;
2. every word begins with C;
3. every word ends with CV;
4. every heard sequence CVC must be understood as a word break: -CV C-;
5. a vowel may be alternatively pronounced as a semivowel when it is
in a cluster with other vowel.

I was astonished to see how many real words of many languages
are covered by these rules: koala, fauna, Hindi, Kyoto, kanji, la, le,
tu, canto, toada, mango, cauda, pauta, Bantu, Suomi, jambo, bandeira,
Simba, mense, Ruanda, huasi, house (if the "e" were still pronounced
in modern English), geisha, etc.

It's funny to note that a native anglophone, whose language accept
very complex syllables, would probably find more difficult to
pronounce some of these words than speaker of languages with simpler
phonotactics, because native anglophones pronounce final "o" and "e"
of foreign languages as /ou/ and /ei/, and this would mess the
word-break detection of a conlang with the above mentioned rules.

*: key to notation below:
C: consonant;
V: vowel;
N: nasal stop (with articulation dependent of the following consonant);
[  ]: repeatable structure;
( ): optional element;
-: represents the rest of a word.