Re: [engelang] Self-segmenting words & the treatment of names

And Rosta scripsit:

> What's a good way to handle names in a self-segmenting
> engelang that constitutes an optimal balance between (a) preserving
> self-segmentation, (b) distorting the original name as little as possible,
> and (c) concision.

I think that the xuxuxi strategy, though not designed for names, can be
adapted to them without much difficulty.  It preserves (a) and (c), and
offends (b) in two ways:

(b1) All stress is initial

(b2) Vowels in unstressed syllables may be changed.

I admit that (b1) is hard, but (b2) seems to me to be close to what
vowel-reduction languages do anyway, as well as the typical effect of
migrating names between languages.  Here are the self-segregating vowel
rules:

Harmony type	Initial syll. vowel	Medial syll. vowel	Final syll.vowel
Front		i or e			i or e or a		o or u
Back		o or u			o or u or a		i or e
Low		a			o or e or a		i or u

My own name "dZankawen", e.g. has correct vowel harmony, and "androsta"
would need to have its final vowel changed, leading to "androsti" or "androste",
(No polysyllable can end with "a".)

--
John Cowan   <jcowan@hidden.email>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big