Re: [engelang] Engelangs - A Design Goal Catalog

Rick Morneau scripsit:

> As I understand it, an engilang is simply a language that is completely
> regular in all aspects of its grammar, including semantics, syntax,
> morphology, and pronunciation.

Not necessarily.  Engelangs could incorporate irregularity if there
something resembling an engineering justification for it.  In Old Loglan,
for example, the process of forming compounds was irregular: one chose
small chunks of the source words and formed them irregularly into a
compound.  The justification, of course, was brevity.

In the end it was discovered that regularity had an advantage that justified
the lack of brevity: it prevented two different compound-creators from
creating the same compound from different source words.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@hidden.email>     http://www.reutershealth.com